Friday, February 15, 2008

Is There Such a Thing as a Gym Hippo?

Status update:

Headache. Heartburn. My jeans are so tight that, when I'm sitting, the waist is digging into my gut.

Which, ok, they're not really all that tight. But I've avoided wearing jeans for quite awhile now because I don't like the way they feel all tight and constricting and, frankly, this pair was fairly large on me. They're still big, but not as big. I can totally chalk this up to premenstrual bloating, which probably is at least partially to blame, but it would be unrealistic of me to ignore the other things that are causing the problem.

Eat less, move more has, so far, been a total failure. Stress has kept me practically on a perma-binge, and my eating habits, themselves, are not that awesome to begin with.

As for move more... Not even. That part I'm placing what blame I can on:

1. The storm that wouldn't end
2. The flu from hell
3. I can only find one of my sneakers

Yes, those very well may be reasonable reasons, but it's still no excuse.

So today I printed out a free 7 day pass to 24 Hour Fitness. (Raise your hand if you just groaned) They've got a special through Monday - no start up fees, $29 bucks a month. That's not bad. It's nearish to my house. It's going to be open when I need it to be (i.e. the ass-crack of way-too-early). It's (probably) going to have the equipment I'm looking for. It has a locker room. Most importantly, it has a pool.

Hey! Don't scoff! That last thing was a legitimate factor in my consideration, and a big part of the reason that I'm not going with the closer gym that's open when I need it to be. I'm a fish. Fish need water.

I'm sure someone could probably school me on any number of reasons I should choose a different gym. That's ok. It's really not like I have a lot of choices, especially when you've taken into consideration my needs. Unless the club is significantly nasty, or the facilities turn out to be not helpful to me, then I will probably be signing up over the weekend.

What that means is that, instead of puttering around on the computer and doing random chores in the morning before work, I'll be headed to the gym. I'm not sure yet if I'll be showering & getting ready for work there, or if I'm going to come home to do that. My concern with coming home is that I will probably fall back into my puttering time-habit, and end up scrambling to get back out the door in time. I do still have to come back to the house after the gym, though, to pick up Monkey See and take him to school. I guess I'm going to have to talk to some gym rats and find out if it's considered bad form to actually do a full shower/hair/makeup routine in the gym locker room.

Lunches and chores will have to be done the night before, because I will not have time.

I'm kind of scared. And way intimidated. At the same time, I cannot let things remain the way they are going. I guess it's time for drastic measures.

In other news, I keep hearing all this bullshit about diet soda being bad for you and making you fat. While I have no doubts it's probably true, I am having serious issues with the thought of giving up my diet coke. I have tried twice this week to just go the day without a soda. I even made myself iced green tea one day. I made it all the way to 11am.

Ooooh.

Yeah. Clearly, I have issues. Right now, I haven't had any soda at all today. I got a coffee this morning (grande sugar-free cinnamon dolce latte with soy) and I've been on water ever since. I'm not going to knock on wood or anything, but with the way my stomach is feeling, I think any carbonation I try to inflict on it would cause the contents of my stomach to revolt in an unflattering and possibly painful manner.

How's that for a mental image?

No comments: