Tuesday, September 11, 2012

The Plum Cafe & Bakery - A Review

I know you think I'm crazy. I've already tried Sugar Plum Vegan and it has not ended well. But I've been really curious since it changed hands and became The Plum Cafe & Bakery (or Bakery & Cafe, I'm not sure if they've decided). I've also noticed that they have a large selection of gluten free options, including baked treats, so I stopped in for lunch recently.

I ordered the gluten free macaroni & cheese, and a selection of treats.

Gluten Free

Plum Cafe Mac & Cheese

The Mac & Cheese was underwhelming. The noodles were good, but the sauce was weird and clumpy and did not taste a lot like cheese. The salad was good, but it's hard to fuck up spring salad mix and vinagrette.

The brownie was ridiculously good. Rich, moist, and chocolatey, it tasted neither vegan nor gluten free. The cupcake, as well, was very good (only one was for me, y'all). I waited too long to try the cake, so I cannot comment other than to say that two days in the fridge do not do it justice.

I will probably give The Plum one more chance before making a final judgement (after all, I did give Sugar Plum two chances). As of right now, I can recommend it highly for vegan and gluten free pastries, but not so much for the rest of the menu.

I do, however, adore the back patio area

Patio at the Plum

Patio at the Plum

It's quiet, cool, and homey, and was a lovely place to while away an afternoon hour.

No comments: