Monday, September 10, 2012

Update-O-Matic

1. The preview copy of our photography book has been ordered and is scheduled to arrive on September 20th. If it is approved as is, the book should be for sale shortly thereafter. I'm both excited and apprehensive. But I'm sure that's perfectly normal.

After spending hours working on the book, agonizing on every photo and every placement, I left the laptop with SweetPea for about fifteen minutes and she had a whole new book created. Because she's a jerk, that's why. She's not really a jerk, we just think in different ways and she can do things like this more quickly than I can.

The bonus, though, is that we will probably be publishing more than one photography book.

And that's exciting.

2. Both Monkeys have been back in school for a couple of weeks. I still can't believe that I have a high school senior. I am overjoyed that he has finally chosen a direction for his life and, moreover, that he talks passionately about it.

I'm not sure that I'm ready for a new year of homework, field trips, automated phone calls, expenses. It's not like I have a choice, but I can still decide to not be ready for that.

3. Completely without planning to, I managed to get into the Laboratory for a few hours over the weekend. I put up four batches of scrubs, including one brand new scrub. It felt really good to be back in the groove and reminded me how much I enjoy it. I have this dream that one day I can knit together a living from various pieces of things that make me happy. This is definitely one of those pieces.

I am potentially looking to start selling scrubs online (or at craft fairs?), and I'm wondering if there are any online marketplaces other than etsy or ebay? I feel like both of those sites have become too much about profiting off of sellers, and I just don't dig that vibe. If I wanted to support a website, I'd hire someone to build me my own.

If ya know what I mean.

4. I'm still lifting heavy things and doing yoga, but running has completely fallen off. I miss it, but really more than ideal of it rather than the reality. Although my last run was fantastically pain free, and I would love to run more, I don't feel guilty that it has not been a priority lately.

Although I do have to say that, when I see ads for the Urban Cow Half Marathon or the Lake Natoma Four Bridges Half Marathon, I feel like I really want to run them again. Not that either went particularly well for me last year. I think it may just be a symptom of pining for autumn.

5. My Yoga Teacher Training path is ongoing. While I have the 100 hour course under my proverbial belt, 200 hours is more standard. I have found certain studios won't even consider you without a 200 hour certificate. I'm looking into a program that starts in January, and doing self study until then. I do feel competent now to teach yoga, but I don't feel like I truly understand enough of the underlying basics to really be an effective teacher.

6. I actually have updates scheduled for you for the week, including some photos and some reviews. I'd like to make an effort to update more regularly, but I also don't want to give you fluff updates. Hopefully I can find a workable balance.

No comments: