Friday, May 11, 2012

Shit I Found On the Internets - Queer Version

I'm not even getting started on North Carolina or the declaration by Obama, because, really, what else needs to be written about these things? Also I'm not entirely sure I don't feel pandered to by Obama, so I'm not really ready to commit to an opinion on his statement.

I don't know, maybe if he quit defending DOMA in court, I'd feel a little better about his sudden change of heart.

We've been here before and we'll probably be here again. If you still don't know why equal marriage rights are so fucking important, here's yet another story from someone impacted by not having the same rights as heterosexual couples. It's worth your ten minutes. Honest.

I found this List of Cisgender Privileges floating around my facebook feed. "If you’re not familiar with the term, “cisgender” means having a biological sex that matches your gender identity and expression, resulting in other people accurately perceiving your gender. If you are cisgender, listed below are benefits that result from your alignment of identity and perceived identity. If you identify as cisgender, there’s a good chance you’ve never thought about these things." It's a great read and something the majority of us don't have to think about.

Finally today, an excellent article about Christianity's same sex marriage rites. To listen to the Right Wingers of today, you'd never guess that same sex marriage was once an integral part of Christianity.

"A Kiev art museum contains a curious icon from St. Catherine's Monastery on Mt. Sinai in Israel. It shows two robed Christian saints. Between them is a traditional Roman ‘pronubus’ (a best man), overseeing a wedding. The pronubus is Christ. The married couple are both men."

Wait. So not only did the Christian Church have multiple forms of same sex marriage rites, but Jesus Fucking Christ actually stood as best man in the marriage of the men who would become Saint Sergius and Saint Bacchus? Explain to me again how your Christianity bars you from supporting same sex marriage. Because I must be missing something.

I'm sure there's lots of stuff floating around this week that I missed. Feel free to leave some link love in the comments.

No comments: