Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Beans, Beans, the Magical Fruit


Yesterday when I arrived home, I found a package from Starbucks.

While I am no stranger to receiving packages, I hadn't ordered anything from Starbucks. Needless to say, I was a little perplexed. My fondness for Starbucks is certainly no secret, but I couldn't think of anyone that would have sent me something from them.

When I finally got around to opening the package, I discovered that it was a gift from Starbucks.

You see, I have a Starbucks Duetto Visa. It works like a regular Visa, except that it earns "Duetto Dollars" when you spend money. Duetto Dollars work like a gift card, and you can earn them or buy them, and then use them at any Starbucks like cash.

Frankly, it would work a little bit better if more of Starbucks' "partners" could figure out the difference between the two, and clarify that before ringing the transaction.

But I digress.

Apparently, there was some issue at some point with the Duetto Dollars. They were pulled from accounts and then, after the error was discovered, they were reapplied.

I had actually checked my balance yesterday morning, by coincidence, and it appears that the issue was resolved the same day. It didn't affect me, at all, because, personally, I hoard my Duetto Dollars. They are reserved for only the most dire of low budget, end-of-month emergencies.

Because, sometimes, you just have to spend an hour or two playing cards over drinks with a Monkey.

Anyway!

Topic? What's that?

To make amends for their transgression, Starbucks had mailed me my very own one pound of some variety of Bold! Espresso Beans! Whole, of course. Because y'all know I don't even kind of have a bean grinder laying around just waiting for this very occasion.

I'm trying to decide whether or not I'm impressed by this. I mean, I didn't even know it happened until this box arrived. Starbucks totally doesn't have anything to make up to me for not for this, anyway. Plus, it's not like I'm going to use them. Not only do I not have a bean grinder, I don't really like the bold coffee. I'm a mild-to-medium girl, myself, if you must know.

Ah, Starbucks. You are so cute and you try so hard. One of these days I just know you're going to be right on the money.

PS: You could totally start with making it possible for me to create a little button that would allow people to "reload"  my Duetto Dollars without having to give out my credit card number. That would be super, thanks!

PPS: Apparently, this interview is a 50/50 thing.

No comments: