Wednesday, December 05, 2007

How Granola? Volume One, Issue Two

Things I know I need to do - Honest, I swear, and I'll get right on that.


I am almost ashamed to admit this, but I have a guilty pleasure that I know is destroying the environment.

I drink bottled water.

Even though I know how bad it is.

I can totally go on kicks where I go months without drinking any unless we're out and about and I wasn't prepared. Then, all of a sudden, snap! I'm refusing to drink water and wondering what the hell's wrong with me until I get my hands on a bottle and suddently everything's right with the world again.

And the only excuse I have, the only thing I can think of that makes me go back to it again and again is that, as far as I'm concerned, water should not taste. And our municipal water, even when run through a filter, definitely, definitely has a taste. And a smell. Which resembles a swimming pool. In much the way a man might resemble his identical twin brother.

Don't even defend me about that, either, because I have seen the tests and I know our water here is pretty damn good and there's certainly nothing in it that would kill me or make me sick or brain damaged or anything like that.

I have gotten to the point where, sometimes, if I don't have a bottled water handy, I will actually just stay thirsty. Because it just might upset the balance of nature should I actually turn on the tap and fill a glass.

Yeah.

Remember that bladder infection?

Yes, I was drinking plenty. Of Diet Coke.

I know I need to get over this obsession. This is very much one of those things that makes me realize I'm attached to consumerism in weird and unhealthy ways. I totally don't need the latest fashion or the hottest new gadget. But Smart Water? Can I have a case?

So I will be making one more effort, again, come the new year (cause I'm not giving it up before I have to) to ditch bottled water completely.

Of course, I am going to stock up on it, though. Because. You know. It's good to have in your emergency rations kit. Should we ever get stranded on a desert island.

No comments: