Wednesday, February 02, 2011

An Open Letter to Vibram

Dear Vibram,

You probably don't know this, but I run. I run in Vibram FiveFinger KSO's and nothing else. I wear a men's size 38 because I have wide, fat troll feet instead of slender, dainty lady feet.

Not that I mind, because I happen to love my feet and I'm not offended by needing to wear a man's shoe.

Loving my feet is a big part of the reason I run in Vibram FiveFingers.

When I first started running, I was fitted into a pair of New Balance something-or-others because I have fairly low arches, I pronate (a lot) and I'm fat.

Do you know what?

I hated those shoes.

I hated those damn shoes with a passion that would, eventually, keep me not only from running but from even going into the gym for strength training.

I kept reading about Vibram FiveFingers, and, from everything I read about them, I just knew they would resolve all of the problems I was having with any other sneaker I had tried.

Because the problems I had with the New Balance running shoes were not unique to that pair of shoes.

When I finally had the opportunity to try on a pair of Vibram FiveFingers, I was dismayed that they were so hard to get on and fit so snugly and were, frankly, kind of pinchy.

Then my shoe assistant brought out a pair in men's for me to try. The fit was much better and, as you may have guessed, I bought them on the spot.

Since then, I've gone from Podrunner Intervals to training for my first half marathon (trail thankyouverymuch).

I've been eyeing your new Bikilas for some time now. Given the amped up mileage required with training for a half marathon, I decided it was time to get an additional pair of Vibrams.

I went to my local running store and, when they didn't have Bikilas in my size, I requested that they order a pair for me. It was only later that I discovered that Vibram FiveFingers are only made in select models (and, then, in only select colors) in my size.

Yes, I'll admit that I do think everything's about me and that, honestly, I understand that it's not.

But I do not understand, if you have the foot form for a men's size 38, why wouldn't it be available in all models (and colors) that you make, even if only by special order?

I love running in Vibrams and I'm not real anxious to change what I run in.

However, if you aren't making FiveFingers that fit me, I don't see how I can continue to purchase and run in Vibrams.

I know that you are a relatively small company with exploding sales, but I hope that you haven't gotten so big that you don't see the value in every foot.

Because I love both of my feet. And I love them best in Vibrams.

Sincerely,

A Wannabe Loyal Fan

1 comment:

Syrlinus said...

Love the letter. Let me know if you get a response. I have the same issue (small hobbit feets).