Tuesday, April 06, 2010

Building my Knowledge Base

Because I am the queen of random, my brain has become obsessed with cataloging my gemstones not only identifying each stone, but its properties.

I have no idea how anybody does this, because, other than a few easily recognizable stones, I cannot remember what stones I pick up for more than a couple of days. Maybe it's lack of habit?

Saturday, MonkeyDo and I ended up at an occult store I'd never noticed. Ordinarily I go to Planet Earth Rising, Garden of Enchantment or -Ology. I love the vibes of these stores and have been known to go just to hang out and browse. My current favorite being Planet Earth Rising, where I know I can get expert assistance on a variety of subjects.

I don't even remember the name of this store we ended up at (because I'm awful). It's smaller than the other three and more sparse, but did do one thing that I really liked: I got a little printout for each stone, its name and properties to take home with me.

I think that Hanksite is such an interesting stone, visually.

So awesome for someone with a memory like mine.

What I've done in the past is take lovely cell phone snaps of the stone I've picked held up against the little plaque that tells its name and properties. Like so:


Which works out ok. When I remember to do it.

But it's still on my phone hogging up space or on the internets where I may or may not be able to get to it when I need it. Plus I really just want to be able to pluck up a stone and know what it is and what it's for, without having to guess or wonder or look it up.

I also want to have a more complete collection of stones. So that I have what I need when I need it.

Of course, I also want to have a more complete collection of candles, oils, herbs and tools.

I guess it's a work in progress, right?

Speaking of works in progress, I had something of an epiphany yesterday while driving all over hell and gone.

I was thinking about the things that have interested me (aromatherapy, herbology, midwifery, personal training [I know, right?], massage therapy, etc.), and they suddenly all seemed very connected. Like each was a facet of the same whole. Which, some of you might remember, is how I've described how I felt about myself and the things I feel "called" by.

Interesting, right?

I'm not entirely sure what to do with that, but it's something to think on.

The Collection


Currently wearing: Black Obsidian & Jet

I snapped up two of these gemstone pendant "cages" while at the store. This one for larger stones, and a different one for smaller stones. I like it. Yet another reason I'd like to learn (retain) more information about the stones.


PS: I really just need to start writing down the list of things I want to learn about. It's getting long. Way.

No comments: