Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Cleaned and (not quite) Prepared

After our adventures at the ocean on Saturday, the Monkeys and I spent time on Sunday cleaning out the Big Blue Van.

The first step was to bail everything out of the van. Not just what had accumulated during our trip, but everything that had found its way into the van in the couple of months since I'd done this last. We got it cleaned out until all that was left was the seats and an umbrella. Then we took it down to the quarter wash and vaccuumed everything, then scrubbed it down and, finally, used the carpet shampooer on the worst spots (which aren't any better now, by the way). After the sun went down, we got to work with cleansing wipes and window cleaners and now the van is ridiculously clean. Although I'm not entirely sure what the deal is with Armor All wipes smelling like urinal cakes (or baby products - it's a surprisingly similar smell).

Once the van was squeaky clean, we began the process of putting the things back that do need to be in the van.

Like the emergency kit:

Possibly my definition of "emergency" is a little different from some other people.

One of the things I'd like to do in the near future, as part of our larger emergency preparedness, is getting together a car-kit. Because maybe we'll get stuck somewhere while we're out driving around. The point of an emergency is that you don't get to plan it, so what happens if we're out running errands and can't go home to get our full go-kit? Or what if we're out driving somewhere there's no cell reception, like, say, on Highway One, and we have car problems we can't fix and have to wait for help.

So I would like to get a plastic bin and fill it with things we'd be likely to need if we ever got stuck somewhere. Especially because, in my world, the more prepared I am, the less likely I am to ever need anything.

PS: I'm still soliciting opinions about my next iPod. So far I've gotten two "just get the Touch", and I'm still thinking "really?"

No comments: