Monday, January 11, 2010

A Day for Marriage

This evening, in Las Vegas, Nevada, one of my best friends is eloping with the woman he loves.

They kept their secret for months and, while choosing the date and location, have, apparently, left the remainder of the planning largely to whim.

They could get married by Elvis or in a drive-thru chapel or at city hall or in a hot air balloon.

The point, though, is that they can, legally, get married.

Today in San Francisco a trial started that may eventually lead to a decision by the Supreme Court of the United States regarding the constitutionality of same-sex marriage.

The world, once again, has all eyes on California as we proceed with the first federal trial on the issue of same-sex marriage.

The irony is so not lost on me.

But I'm taking heart in the timing and choosing to take it as a good omen - a very good day for marriage, indeed, and, hopefully, for marriage for all.

Congratulations, honey. I hope your Elvis impersonator is awesome!


PS: Still to come: commentary on the State of State Working, as well as commentary on The Big Trial. Have questions or items you'd like me to address, specifically? Comment or email me and I'll do my best to get them answered.

No comments: