Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Weather Woes


Here's a little something for those of you back east who think we're sitting out here smug with our "you call that winter?" weather.

Yeah, ok... We're a little smug.

Don't worry, though.

Summer will be here in short order to wipe that smug grin off of our faces.

If I'm not much mistaken, those of you getting "real" winters don't generally have to suffer through the types of summers we get here.

Where 100-plus degree days are often the norm rather than the exception, our "lows" are kissing cousins to your highs, and it's not unlikely that a person could get dehydrated walking from the car to the office.

The county sets up "cooling centers" so people don't die from the hot.

Have I mentioned that Verbosery Headquarters is 100% non-air-conditioned? (Although we are over the moon to finally have a vehicle with air conditioning. That we hope works.)

Or that fabulous window I have at work? Faces the sun all day. And is single pane glass. And the only insulation I'll have is cheap white blinds (I KNOW!).

Which means that I'll be spending the better part of about 5 months sweating. Sweltering. Miserable.

(And I won't even get into how bad my allergies are because it never gets cold enough for things to actually die.)

So, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to enjoy the fact that, for a few brief months, I don't have to wonder how I'm going to put makeup on when my face won't stop sweating.

2 comments:

Dawn Fortune said...

You're right. We don't get those kinds of summers. Ever. I think last year we didn't have a dozen days that hit 90 or above. Especially here on the island. Surrounded by the frigid Atlantic, which sometimes gets up to 58 degrees in the summer, we're kept pretty cool. Evenings usually require a sweatshirt or a light jacket. Every so often we see a note in the police and rescue log that a tourist went into shock while swimming and had to be first saved from drowning and then rushed to the hospital. Vacationing here ain't for sissies. And I've jumped in that water in January. Heh.

Codejnki said...

I will admit that last summer I do not even remember us hitting a plus 100 degree day. This is true. But with humidity that seems to stabilize around 80% or better, I'm not sure we have it that easy either.