Saturday, December 06, 2008

Book Recommendations?


Good morning, y'all!

I'm placing a Christmas order through Amazon.com, and I loathe ordering books without picking up something for me to read.

The trouble is, it's been so long since I've had the time or opportunity to read regularly that I have no idea what's out there that's good or "can't miss".

I've asked you guys before for help, and winedog pointed me to Devil in the White City, which was an awesome read (pick that up if you haven't already read it - seriously!).

I'm turning to you for help again.

What would you recommend?

What's a book I shouldn't miss?

Don't ask me what I've read.

Don't ask me what genre.

Tell me the best book you've ever read, the best book you've read within the last year, or the book you think everyone should read at least once.

Really.

I'm hoping to get my order placed today.

Thanks!

4 comments:

Tarot By Arwen said...

Ishmael Baeh's A Long Way Gone

Haven't read it but it is supposed to be amazing.

Books I have read that I think others should read? Naomi Novik's Teremaire series (if you like historical fantasy)

Devon Monk "Magic To The Bone" if you like urban fantasy

Carol Queen's "The Leather Daddy and the Femme" if you like erotica that explores gender issues.

Syrlinus said...

What kind of books? Fiction? non-fiction?

If non-fiction, I'd say "Audacity of Hope" or Zinn's History of America. For non-fiction, not sure yet.

Anonymous said...

I just blew through Improv Wisdom by Patrica Ryan Madson in one night-just a 150 pages, small book, but still. I haven't been that captivated w/ a book in a while.

love your blog btw. see you on twitter.

Anonymous said...

One of my twitter pals just got "Wine and War" for her husband. I read that last winter. It's about how the French and the Nazi's and their quest to preserve the wine country...sort of. Surprisingly good read. I also read a Dean Koontz thing about a psychic golden retriever and some sick S/m bad guys. Can't remember the name of that one but there's a golden retriever on the cover.