Saturday, November 29, 2008

Etsy Gift Guides

Dear Etsy Gift Guides Creators:

I very much enjoy perusing your gift guides for ideas. However, I've seen some patterens to your selections that leaves me a little perplexed.

So that we're on the same page, here is a small sampling of things I probably wouldn't give as gifts:

1. Soap (unless I knew the person really enjoyed that kind of thing or it was a themed set that was appropriate for the person)(and, frankly, I do enjoy soaps, but that doesn't mean I feel like giving a gift that says "wow, you've been smelling kind of funky lately").

2. Fake food. Now, some of the felted and wooden food items are really cool, but, really, unless someone collected them, why would you give someone felted sushi? And, if you know someone that does collect them... Wouldnt you already know to search for that and not need to see it (multiple times) in a gift guide? Just a thought.

3. A headband with a bird on it.

4. Greeting cards.

5. Underwear. As awesome as they probably are, there's just nobody on my shopping list for whom hand crafted panties would be an appropriate gift for under the Christmas tree.

Now, I'm sure there must be people out there who would gladly snap these items up for gift-giving (or, at least, I hope there are - for your sake), but none of those people happen to be me.

Perhaps the next time a gift guide is created, you might use less of these items, and more of the other stuff?

That would be awesome.

No comments: