Monday, October 20, 2008

An Open Letter to my California Readers

I'm reposting this from a friend for my California readers. For those of you who believe that Prop 8 needs to go down, it's time to put the rubber to the road. For those of you who are still unsure: Do you really want Utah Mormons deciding California law?

"Listen, folks, I just got off the phone with Aaron, the coordinator of the phone campaign for No on 8 here in town.

They're desperate. The Mormons are calling people here all over the state. They're doing it from Utah. I have no idea how expensive that has to be. They rely on fear, lies, and misdirection about this issue to motivate people who already believe they're being led by modern-day prophets.

CALL AARON AT 650-218-9734.

SIGN UP FOR ALL THE FREE TIME YOU HAVE TO WORK ON THE PHONES. I'm gonna be there every Monday and Wednesday evening, and Saturday morning. I will buy dinner or lunch for every person I know that I see there. (I love y'all, but I am not that kind of rich.)

YOU STILL HAVE 10 HOURS TO DONATE TO THE CAMPAIGN. PLEDGE ME ANY DOLLAR AMOUNT, EVEN JUST ONE DOLLAR, AND I'LL DONATE ONLINE FOR YOU, I'LL MATCH YOUR DOLLAR WITH ONE OF MY OWN, AND STEVE BING WILL MATCH BOTH OUT DOLLARS WITH TWO OF HIS.

The Yes on 8 people have 10 million dollars more than we do. They are perfectly positioned for a last minute push to get their false message out all across the state.

So, I gonna ask again:

Will you lie down and let them do it? Not just the Mormons, but all the bigots in and out of our state.

Will you let them put discrimination in our constitution? The Constitution of the State of California? California, where people are supposed to live in the most tolerant, understanding, and liberal atmosphere in the country?

The Yes people are saying, "As California goes, so goes the nation." Well, they're right. We are leaders in this country. Many of our current freedoms our citizens enjoy got their start here. And if we say no to bigotry, it may help turn the tide of prejudice that is sweeping this country.

This fight has already been fought in 26 states across the nation. In every one, our side lost. The only partial victory we got was when Arizona refused to put discrimination in their constitution. It's still illegal there for homosexuals to marry, but at least it's not in their constitution. If we let it happen here, there will be no hope for the rest of the country, and Massachusetts and Connecticut will stand alone, two small states on the eastern seaboard.

What if we could keep the powerhouse that is California on their side? The whole country would eventually be forced to rethink the issue.

The thing that gets me is that a puny little whacko religion like the Mormons, headquartered in a state only one-twentieth our size, is trying to run things here and tell us how to live. California is for Californians, not Utah Mormons. Let them live in their bullshit 1950s paradise if they want to, but we know better here.

Voting isn't enough. Do that, but get off your ass and do something more. Or never look me in the face again."

PS: If I know you in person, you can expect to be getting an e-vite for this. If you have date & timeframe preferrences, I'd speak up.

No comments: