Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Not Enough Cake in the World


Do you ever get the feeling that your kids are practically grown and you hadn't even noticed?

I was looking at Father's Day cards on etsy and ran across this card. My initial reaction was to roll my eyes because my kids would think this card was completely lame. But then something occurred to me... There's a whole giant batch of years during which this card would be so cute coming from someone's child. Years during which the child would probably spend hours giggling over "Toad-Ally" like it's the best joke in the world.

My kids?

Not so much.

Sure there's a part of me that kind of misses those days when the kids were younger and the jokes were easier. Certainly there's nothing easy about adolescence and puberty. But it's exciting to see them growing up and creating their own identities. We're standing on the cusp of so many awesome and scary and difficult things and then, before we know it, they'll be all grown up and living their lives on their own.

As scary and hard as the next few years are going to be, I think I'd rather be here than the days of bathtimes, naptimes, endless knock-knock jokes and sticky fingers.

And not just because we're that much closer to being done.

Speaking of which:

Today begins a long-ass week.

MonkeySee has his play on Thursday night. Tonight and tomorrow night he'll be at school until 5pm doing dress rehearsals. No big deal, except that his school is not the school near our house (I believe I may have mentioned this?) and we are still down to one vehicle.

Our usual day: Citrus Heights to Natomas to Carmichael to Citrus Heights to Folsom to Carmichael to Natomas to Citrus Heights (approximately 95 miles)(you notice I say "our" like I'm the one in the car the entire time? here's where I have to give ginormous props to SweetPea for handling all of this on a daily basis).

Today and tomorrow: Citrus Heights to Natomas to Carmichael to Citrus Heights to Folsom to Natomas wait two hours to Carmichael to Citrus Heights.

Thursday: Citrus Heights to Natomas to Carmichael to Citrus Heights to Folsom to Carmichael to Natomas to Citrus Heights to Carmichael or Citrus Heights to Natomas to Carmichael to Citrus Heights to Folsom to Natomas to Carmichael to Citrus Heights to Carmichael (because I have no idea if we pick him up directly after school, or if we're picking him up at 5 to return him at 6:15).

*sigh*

In the News:

Abuse of power, much?

I'm pretty sure I can't even form coherent sentences about that just yet.

And that's all I'm going to say.

Oh, Crap:

Apparently, I woke up supremely crabby this morning. Either that or I woke up fine and have since become extremely crabby. Whatever!

I also managed to completely forget my iShuffle at home, meaning that, not only am I a snarky bitch, but I have no way of tuning out.

Oops.

Raise your hand if you are suddenly thankful you don't work with me.

1 comment:

Corincredible said...

You think the Monkeys are growing up fast?! Try being out of the loop for 7 months! Holy cow!!!