Sunday, December 02, 2007

A Chameleon's Spots Never Change

Because Monkey See is in the IBMYP, he goes to a different school than the one he would be going to normally. The normal school is relatively just down the road and a short bus ride away (it's also right next to the high school that he would normally be going to). The school he is going to is about a 15 to 20 minute drive (depending on traffic) and would take three buses and some walking.

So every morning he gets a ride to school.

On the way to school we pass an elementary school. If we've timed our arrival correctly, then the high school kids will have started gathering in front of the elementary school for their school bus. Usually when we pass by there's about five to ten kids waiting.

These kids totally make my morning.

It's been 14 years since I graduated high school, but these kids look like they walked directly out of my freshman and sophomore years. They resemble so closely the kids I knew, the kids I was friends with that I could totally point them out and name them.

It kind of makes me wonder if high school kids ever change, or if we've come around again to the way things were when I was in school.

Not the cool kids, of course. I know that's probably light years different from when I was in school. But I never really hung out with the cool kids, so that's ok.

I'm talking about the "real" kids. The geeks, the drama nerds, the band geeks, the intellectuals. The outcasts. The fringe element. Where I belonged. And didn't.

I've never really felt like I "belonged" anywhere. Sure, I "fit in" lots of places, and was accepted and had fun and that was all well and good. But, at the end of the day, whatever it was wasn't "mine" the way it was anyone else's.

I still feel that way. Like a chameleon with no home. It's odd. It can be disconcerting.

It's a lot like always being the new kid in school, no matter how many first days you've had.

No comments: