Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Flying Solo

I taught my very first yoga class completely solo and nobody died!

I haven't taught yoga at all since we did Team Week back in June. While I've thought about it, I haven't practiced teaching, or written any sequences, or created playlists...

Nothing.

But then I got a call asking me to fill in for a sick instructor.

In about an hour.

I dug through the pages of sequences I wrote during teacher training and found one that seemed like it would be easiest for me to follow & build on, even after months away. I double checked that I still had playlists from team week - thank goodness!

And, look. I'm not going to tell you that the class was amazing and I was brilliant. Because, dude. Of course not. I was rusty and out of practice and hesitant and forgetful. My cueing was inconsistent and frequently uninspired. The class was possibly not challenging enough, didn't flow right or cover all of the things it should have. I did a sequence all up once side of the body and then forgot when I had to recreate it for the second side (I remembered, but it may have involved a water break and leaving the class in chair pose a little longer).

I definitely could have done better.

I definitely could have done worse.

With less than an hour to get prepared, I think I did pretty well. So I'm going to use the things I feel like I could have done better as my inspiration to work on those things. And I'm using the whole experience as a reminder of why I took the training in the first place. I want to teach.

I want to teach.

And that's scary as hell.

Which means it's totally the right thing. I'm willing to work for that. I'm willing to dig through all the hatefulness of the learning curve to get to the place where I feel competent teaching.

And that's scary as hell.

No comments: