Thursday, June 09, 2011

Sacramento Food & Fitness Blogs

Sacramento has always been weird when it comes to the online world. Sacramento was slow to take to the internet for socializing and networking and slow to tap into the world wide web's full potential for advertising and connecting.

It was frustrating to me, for years, because it can be hard to connect with strangers out in the real world, but on the internet, it's easier to filter down to common interests.

Now, so many years later, it's bizarre to me that I'm connecting with so many locals online. Because of past experience, I generally don't look for local blogs or local twitter accounts and I'm really out of the habit of trying to find locals.

The ones I have found have been largely by accident, and, once found, leading me to others. Or locals who have found me because I'm local to them. Maybe they aren't jaded by past experience?

When this tweet popped up the other night, I just knew that couldn't be true*.

tweet.JPG

I may not follow a lot of local blogs, but I know there are a lot of local bloggers out there. Some more well known than others. So I did some research and came up with a list of local food & fitness blogs.

If you know or write a food or fitness blog based in the Sacramento area, please let me know so I can add it to the list.

Food blogs:

Girls on the Grid - "The Grid" is the nickname given to the midtown area, the streets of which form a grid pattern. Girls on the Grid cover everything from food to culture, art, fashion, makeup, work, ettiquete and probably local fitness scoops.

Munchie Musings - Ms. Munchie covers food & more in the Sacramento (and sometimes Dallas) area. She also has a handy dandy list of Sacramento food bloggers right here.

Cow Town Eats - Publishes the Daily Dining News, including news, deals and reviews of local eateries.

At Burger Junkies, it's all burgers all the time, featuring reviews of specific burgers and burger-centric local eateries.

Undercover Caterer - More food, more local. Recipes, reviews and excellend food photos.

Sacto Food & Insurance - Food & insurance? Well there's a combination I don't think anyone else has thought of. Sam's just getting started, and I can't wait to see how this blog grows.

Now that you're hungry, how about some fitness?

Fitness Blogs:

Bodytribe Fitness - The first & foremost (at least for me). I have mad love (and considerable jealousy) for these guys (and, no, I've never been). I would love to work out here, but finances and time make it impossible. For now. Their blog is fantastic, though, and I've been following it for awhile now.

Norcal Running - Not exactly Sacramento specific, the running ezine is northern California-centric, and contains lots of good local info.

Your Fit Pastor - Now, if you're not new to the Verbosery, you've probably got a good idea that this is not a blog I follow. But! I found it while researching for this blog, and it definitely seems like a fun, informative, inspirational, local fitness blog.

anywherefit - Crossfit is something else I'd really like to try. Fear and ignorance are my biggest hurdle here, but it's definitely on the to-do list. Crossfit anywhere? Hell, yeah.

Finally, if you're looking for blogs from people on a journey towards fitness (and not, necessarily, blogs about fit people doing fit things), here are a couple of those:

Fit Mommy - The tweeter who started this whole search!

Paula Wanna Cracker - Another local blogger I've been following for awhile now. I love her honesty, determination and spunk. And, I'm not gonna lie. I love it when she posts about "bad" Mexican food! YUM!

Wow. Ok. That's all I've got. Who am I missing?

These are what I was able to find or what was recommended to me by other locals. Do you have more? Let me know and I'll update the list.

*To clarify, I found out that Jamie was, specifically, referring to the nobody signed up for the Sacramento FitBloggin' Meetup. Personally I'm not a fan of Meetup.com, but what are ya gonna do? Go sign up!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks so much.I can't wait to catch up on all these local blogs! How awesome. So lame am I for not knowing! =)
I won't lie, I am not 100% sure I would go to the meetup, I just wondered why nobody had responded. I thought Sacramentians just weren't bloggers!

dolphyngyrl said...

Like I said, Sacramentans are weird. Although I do hope that people sign up & attend the meetup. I think it would be fun to have something similar to fitbloggin' here.

Kamran Yaqoob said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
dolphyngyrl said...

Word to the wise: I don't appreciate and will not tolerate spam comments. Neither I nor my readers are here for you to sell to. If you have something that you would like me to post information regarding, you can contact me directly by email. If I feel the information is worth sharing, I will share it.

If I think you're just trying to capitalize on people's fears and insecurities, I will delete your fucking comment.