Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Addictions, Civility and Documentation

I think I'm addicted to frozen yogurt. My cohort & I have been hitting Yogurt Garden at least once a week on break. I think I need an intervention. That intervention should definitely involve cupcakes.

So Saturday night, when we arrived at Headhunters for the show, the very first thing SweetPea does is find some guy I knew in high school and start talking to him. Totally randomly. Thought he worked there.

"I don't work here," he says. "But they trust me with the bullhorn."

Which, by the way, totally shows to go you that they didn't know him at all.

It should surprise none of you to know that not only did I not say hi & introduce myself, but, after telling SweetPea who he was, I forbade her from saying anything.

Issues?

Moving on.

Before we'd even gotten this far in the establishment, I'd already spied the high priestess (*ahem*) of our local Butch-Femme Social Group. You know. The one that kicked me out. Yeah. Her.

No, I did not say hi to her, either.

Well if you must know, it's because I'm sometimes kind of a bitch and I wasn't really sure I could be civil without, also, well, being a bitch.

SweetPea and I sat in our little corner booth, chatting and entertaining ourselves, until our friends started showing up and the band started playing. And then all was right with the world. After all, I was deep into a pitcher of beer (yes, by myself), I was listening to good music and some dipshit* had trusted me with a pretty nice camera. How could anything be wrong with this?

You may (or may not) have noticed that my "Busted Knuckle" etsy thingamajig over in the corner has been replaced. I've put the shop on vacation. Not only do I not have the time or energy to devote to kissing the kind of ass I would need to if I want to have the shop turn into anything lucrative, but I'm less and less convinced that etsy is an appropriate venue for our work.

What is?

Yeah. So I'm not so sure about that, yet.

When I got home from Texas, I wrote Missouri Dish an impossibly long letter about many things, but also about how I don't know what to do with my photography. I know that I like it, but I don't really know how that translates in the real world, with people and other artists, galleries and buyers.

Is what I do good enough?

I don't know.

Isn't that ridiculous?

So, right now, I don't know what to do with it. I'll continue to share with all y'all, of course. And maybe I'll resurrect some things and rearrange some other things. I've been thinking about trying for another hanging showing.

In the mean time, I plan to bring my camera and spend my time doing something that makes me ridiculously happy:

Documenting real.

*Me, by the way. Just so we're clear.

No comments: