Tuesday, December 08, 2009

Beginning to Look a Lot like Angstmas

I have a couple of "real" blog posts in the works for you, but both involve access to things I don't have here at work, such as pictures & rampant linkage.

In the meantime, my brain is meandering down a weird and possibly awkward path, so I figured I would share some of my angst with you.

You're welcome.

It's that Christmas time of the year again, and I'm both overwhelmed and underwhelmed by the season. Again. We still don't have decorations up at home. Christmas shopping has largely not occurred. I haven't even figured out what I'm doing about Christmas cards and I, apparently, can't even be assed to write out a Christmas wish list.

It's like the height of my Lazy all culminated in one tiny fragment of time.

Oh. The. Joy.

If you've been around long enough, you have an idea of how I feel about Christmas cards. One of my favorite parts of the season, I usually have them figured out months in advance and, most years, even have them mailed by now. Last year's card included family portraits and there was even a newsletter. Yup. I went that kind of crazy. This year, I haven't even started thinking about it. I feel like I should send out photos, but I don't really feel like taking any. Other than the hamster in my brain screaming about this Christmas card thing, I probably wouldn't even care.

I don't know what I want to do about gifts for anyone, and the thought of trying to figure out everyone on the gift list makes me want to stick my fingers in my ears and sing "nah nah nah nah" until it goes away. Because it goes: SweetPea, the Monkeys, my family (two halves and all the attachments), SweetPea's family (two halves and all the attachments), friends, work, and OH, by the way, the Monkey's friends and/or Secret Santa exchanges.

Wee.

There's a part of me that wants to just give everyone (or as many as is reasonable) handmade gifts. I mean, I did open a shop on etsy for the purpose of selling these handcrafted items, right? And not once did any of them end up on
Regretsy. So that's a good thing, right?

But somehow handmade gifts seem so preschool to be giving out. You know what I mean? Which is not to say that I haven't done that in the past, and it's also not to say I won't do that this year. I just sometimes wonder if there aren't people who receive them and think < insert sarcasm > "gee, that's nice..." < /sarcasm >

Speaking of my etsy shop, I do have some news in that regard. I've decided to shutter both shops temporarily. The plan is to spend some time getting our ducks in a row and then reopen, hopefully in the spring, with a larger product base, a more cohesive vision and more time to invest in promoting the shops. More information on the closures will be forthcoming, as well as the best way to get notified once the shops reopen.

I will be giving my coworkers handmade items in their Christmas stockings (we're doing stockings instead of Secret Santa... Cool!), and I've got some ideas in the works for things I believe some others on our list will appreciate. I plan on having our tree and other assorted decorations up by this weekend. Maybe I'll even get the Christmas card thing under control this weekend, too.

And, maybe, if I'm lucky, I'll settle down a little bit and get more into the Christmas Spirit.

We'll see.

PS: Hey, Dad... the Farmer's Market had persimmons as low as 75 cents a pound. Just so you know!

No comments: