Tuesday, November 03, 2009

Catsup & Flavored Quarks*

Ooh, look! Did you know I had a blog?

Um.

Right.

I know, I know! There's so much I have to tell you, and I really do need to get on that, and I've totally been slacking and I'm sorry.

*whew*

Right now I'm obsessively refreshing poll results to see if Maine gets to keep same sex marriage and if Washington gets "just like but not exactly" marriage rights for registered domestic partnerships (whether same sex or just over 65).

Sadly, it doesn't look good for either state.

In more personal news, SweetPea has caught the Creeping Crud. I was worried today that it might be the actual H1N1 because she had some, uh, gastrointestinal issues this morning. But that seems to have settled down, and I'm hoping she's just got a regular cold or flu. Which is probably totally my fault, since I'm sure I brought the germs home from Oakland.

I am not thrilled with the direction that my feelings about work have taken. I'm not really going to get into details. Suffice it to say that some things will have to change, one way or another.

In other news, Christmas is fast approaching - as is a holiday buying (and selling) season that I've suddenly realized I'm ill-prepared for. Oopsie! I had to make some decisions regarding what to work on for listing and what not to bother with. I'm trying to remain within the capacity of supplies I currently have on hand, but I will be placing one or two small orders.

I plan on listing scrubs and balms, as well as a couple of "origami" scrapbooks, glass pendants, and some new hair jewelry and earrings. I'm kind of excited, but there's a lot of work ahead of me that I need to get started on soon. Which is a little hard when your wife is sick and it throws everything out of whack.

Like I said, I've got loads of things planned for you, including a tutorial-plus-giveaway, a follow up to the lobe stretching primer, and probably at least one good ramble about one thing or another.

Tonight, though, I'll leave you with this:

This pup was left in his crate, in the back, with the hatch up, while his owners were off doing who knows what. He was there for at least 20 minutes that I know of. He was in the shade, and, certainly, had plenty of fresh air, temperature was pleasant and he didn't seem to be in distress (other than boredom and loneliness)...

So what do you think? Is it ok that pup was left like this while his owners went off (I'm assuming to dinner)?

Personally, I always endeavor to not bring dogs places where they're not allowed, and I haven't often been in situations where I've had to figure it out. I guess that's a pretty good system, but it does make me wonder why pup couldn't have just stayed home.

(Sacramento County is definitely not as dog-friendly - overall - as some other areas are... There aren't many places you can go to eat with your pup...)

*With SweetPea down, most of MonkeySee's chatting has been directed at me. That manchild can talk a blue streak, letmetellyou. Did you know there are flavored quarks? And the flavor names are colors? I told him that the Farmer's Market Cheese Ladies would disagree... Quarks come in flavors like vanilla and lemon and pumpkin spice. I'm not entirely sure he found this amusing.

4 comments:

Wendy said...

Ick to gay rights not getting the vote.

Ick to SweetPea not feeling well.

Ick to not-good feelings about work.

Ick to Christmas - too early!

And ick to people who leave their dogs in cars in any sort of situation. That is one of my pet (no pun-intended) peeves.

Wine Dog said...

You don't know the situation. I've left the dogs in the car before. Xica spent a ton of time in the car waiting for me to come back. That dog went everywhere with me that I could take her. We lived in the City and if it was overcast, the car would never get too warm. And I watched it like a hawk. When we moved out here she went to the gym with me every single morning, before the sun came up. It was our routine and she would sit in the truck and watch me work out. People would comment about how they could see that the dog knew where I was in the gym. And she did.

What if they were traveling through and needed to get out of the car and get something to eat? They obviously took the time to be sure the animal was comfortable. And you don't know that they weren't watching you from somewhere. I've certainly done that numerous times on the road. It's not always easy to find someplace that will let you take your dog in if you needed to not be in the driver's seat for a while for safety. Maybe they're day involved the dog being with them on one stop but not on another? You just can't be judgmental without knowing at the total scope of the situation. They took the time, they did it correctly, so why are you picking on them?

dolphyngyrl said...

You're right, I don't know the situation. Nor do I have much experience in the realm of getting to bring your dog with you places because it's mostly ok. Which is why I was asking for thoughts on the issue - particularly because I know that I have at least a couple of readers with far greater experience in this arena than I do.

My biggest concern, personally, was the dog's safety - not from the elements, but from the large, busy shopping center and the hoardes of largely undisciplined children. He seemed to be just fine while we were there, so I was not overly concerned, but I did consider the possibility. How easy for curious children to climb up into the back to see the dog?

I'm sorry if it sounded to you like I was picking on them for leaving the dog like that. Truly I was just curious what others might think of the situation.

dolphyngyrl said...

PS: I once knew a woman who had a rescue malamute and a convertable. She used to take the dog to the mall, find a nice, shady spot, put the top down and leave the dog in the backseat of the convertable. In retrospect, maybe not the safest situation, but she was such a good dog that the woman never worried about her.