Sunday, August 16, 2009

But My Name's Not Jack

When the planting year started, I made the decision not to attempt to plant any kind of produce this year. Hell, I'd decided to just not plant anything at all. Shortly after purchasing the new plants for the triangular planter, however, I stumbled across an etsy listing for small pumpkin seeds. Before I knew it, I found myself in possession of a few small packets of organic, heirloom seeds.

I know it's possible I'll see nothing from this, getting started so late in the year. But it's not like we'll see frost before these should harvest, and this is California.

I've been amazed, since yesterday, of the sudden growth. This morning, this pot had one tiny sprout, still sporting the husk of its seed, and, this afternoon....


I can't even imagine what I'll see in the morning.

Those are beans, one of two varieties. I've also got the small sugar pumpkins, some tom thumb lettuce, and some carrots. Because I totally dig growing my own carrots.

I'd be a lot more hopeful for the whole "crop" if one of the neighborhood cats hadn't started using some of the pots as a personal litter box.

I don't believe I've ever in my life so thoroughly wished harm upon a feline.

No comments: