Friday, February 13, 2009

Sparkling Personality


Up until a couple of years ago, I had a pattern.

Every few months, I'd get that itch.

I'd want another piercing.

Something would feel empty, wanting, waiting.

So I'd research, research, research until I felt that I knew everything I needed to know, and then I'd pick the right time and get some glinting new metal.

Sometimes my itch would take a different path, and I'd stretch things instead.

My tongue got all the way up to a 4 gauge before it became clear that it was unreasonable for me to keep it there.

My lobes have gradually gotten larger and larger, a process I don't see stopping any time soon.

The last actual, for real piercing that I got was a couple of years ago. We drove to San Francisco and I had a vertical labret done.

My lip had been wanting one for so long that it was almost like he just made my lip the way it felt like it already was.

I took it out a little over a year go because I couldn't stop playing with it and it was often sore.

Last weekend, SweetPea and I went down to The local piercing parlor. SweetPea wanted to go the next size up for her lobes, and they had to craft the correct single-flare tunnels for her.

So we waited.

And waited.

And waited.

While we waited, a funny thing happened.

I made a decision.

I knew exactly what I wanted.

I didn't need to research it, because I've done so much research over the years that there wasn't really anything that I felt I needed to know.

There was no nervousness.

No pre-piercing jitters.

The only thing there was a small case of sticker shock.

Just a few days later, and I'm over the sticker shock. We're also in a better place for shelling out the money.

This evening, SweetPea and I are making another trip down to that shop.

Soon thereafter, I'll be just a little more sparkly than I was when I walked in.

Hee hee.

No comments: