Saturday, December 20, 2008

Saturday Musings on Gay Rights


The United States - Defenders of Human Rights

Not so fast.

In a move described by Rama Yade, France's human rights minister, as contradictory to America's long tradition as a defender of human rights, the United States has refused to sign a declaration that would decriminalize homosexuality.

Joining the United States in the refusal to sign the nonbinding declaration are the Vatican and and a majority of Muslim nations.

To quote the article:

"The Dutch foreign affairs minister, Maxime Verhagen, said countries that endorsed the 1948 (Universal Declaration of Human Rights) had no right to carve out exceptions based on religion or culture that allowed discrimination against gays.

'Human rights apply to all people in all places at all times,' he said. 'I will not accept any excuse.'"

More from Pam's House Blend.

Proposition 8 @ The Supreme Court of California

Briefs are starting to be filed in the Prop 8 cases being heard by the Supreme Court.

From Kenneth Starr, in support of Prop 8:

"That body of decisional law commands judges - as servants of the people - to bow to the will of those whom they serve - even if the substantive result of what people have wrought in constitution-amending is deemed unenlightened."

Is it me, or is that the most fantastically first grade logic you've ever seen translated into legalease?

Basically, what he's saying is that the Supreme Court's job is to do the will of the people (NOT!), even if that will is considered "unenlightened" (per Dictionary.com "ignorant").

No, I'm sorry, I just cannot believe that anyone would feel that is a valid and swaying argument.

"Do what we say, even if it's stupid"?

Really?

That's the best you've got?

What a load of grade-school bullying.

Working for the Weekend

In totally unrelated news, I'm working my very last overtime today. Getting through some mail and then cleaning my desk. When I get home today, I'll be off for a whole week!

I am so excited!

After that, only three more days in the office before I start my new position on the 5th of January.

I'm hoping to get some serious decluttering done while I'm off.

I've also got some projects that I'll be doing research for. My plan is to start creating New Things after the new year. I will be in need of some guinea pigs to help me with feed back and fine-tuning. I'll post more information about that once I get closer to being ready.

I also hope to bring Friday Contest back by March. So stay tuned!

No comments: