Thursday, September 25, 2008

Curly Girly


For about a week now, I've been following the Curly Girl Method for Curly Hair. I don't remember exactly when I started it, but I was suckered into it after I followed a link that she twittered. And, ok, I'm only half-assed following it. I still brush it with a brush on the days I don't wash & curl it. And I'm apparently waiting too long to put stuff in my hair after I get out of the shower. And I should apparently be starting with either leave-in or regular conditioner. And I certainly didn't clarify my hair first. And I haven't had a haircut in... Um... A year?

Um.

All of which could possibly explain why my hair is really frizzy right now.

Ha.

But, also, it's a lot curlier than it has been in a long time, so I like that.

Not shampooing is, so far, not as weird as you might think it would be. It's also not turning my hair into a greasy, smelly mess the way I assumed it would. We are so conditioned to believe we need that nonsense, but my hair's been fine! I don't need it to control greasiness, I don't need it to get hair care products out of my hair.

In fact, so the theory goes, shampoo actually makes me need more products for my hair.

The shampoo dries the hair, making it frizzy. I apply anti-frizzing solutions containing "silly cones", which smooth my hair but, also, block out moisture. So, essentially, I've been "double drying" my hair.

Now that I'm using neither, the moisture is getting back into the hair itself (where it belongs), but hasn't quite gotten to the point where it's resolving the frizz issues.

I'm not even sweating that. I know that "the system" takes at least a couple of weeks to bring your hair totally back around. If I had any concerns at all, they were resolved when I saw her post and was linked up to the fifteen pages of before and after snaps available here.

I'm going to set up a snipping appointment with Trixie (the only one allowed near my head with snippers) for next week to take off some length and probably add some layers. If I have time this weekend, I might even do an extended conditioning session.

Hopefully, in the next few weeks, my hair will really start behaving itself and acting like I love it again.

That would be super.

No comments: