Sunday, July 20, 2008

Water's Calling

Saturday morning, MonkeySee and I got up bright and early and headed to Negro Bar to take some pictures by the morning light. I had been hoping to get there near sunrise to get some dawn pictures, but we were there about an hour or so after sun up. Given the amount of walking we had to do through the parkway, I was kind of glad it turned out that way. There was definitely enough light to see by.

What I love about getting out like that, just for the purpose of taking pictures, is that it's an excercise in paying attention. You have to look... Not just what you see, but what do you see? Are the leaves just leaves, or is there something more there? Being out on the parkway like that makes you listen, too. There's a paved trail through it that's used extensively by bikers, runners, walkers. You have to pay attention to stay out of the way of those moving faster than you. I explained to MonkeySee that if someone on a bike comes along and we get in their way and collide, it's going to hurt, sure, but it's probably going to hurt dude on the bike a lot more when he or she hits the ground. Because there is also wildlife, including, in some areas, predators, you have to pay attention for the sounds nature is making, too. And because you never know who or what might be hiding in the bushes or the cluster of trees, or just below that drop off or around that bend.

Between the two, I felt very "tuned in" to the world around me. It was a good feeling.

After we were finished, we headed off to Starbucks and got some drinks and treats and were home by nine. All around, I think that was an excellent way to spend the morning.

We were invited to go rafting on Sunday. Sounded like tons of fun, but the timing just wasn't right for us. We're talking about going out the next weekend the kids are home, though. Hopefully that group will be available to go. Although I am more than a little bit disappointed when I think about how I will not be able to take my camera. Think about all the awesome shots I'll be missing!

I hope y'all are enjoying the daily picture. I have them pre-scheduled through the end of the month. Then we'll see where we're going from there.

I think this little dude looks like a crotchety little old man. I can picture him waiving his little walking-cane-looking front legs and croaking about them damn kids staying off his lawn.


3 comments:

Corincredible said...

Awesome! The last one's my favorite :)

Anonymous said...

I have been enjoying the recent onslaught of photographs. I don't know if you knew this or not, but it is my favorite medium in art. And you have a good eye. And clearly a better camera than I do.

And thanks for teaching MonkeySee to look out for us cyclists. It does hurt when we hit the ground.

dolphyngyrl said...

winedog, then you should definitely like what should be coming up in the next couple of months.

He's a little slow on the uptake sometimes, but by the time we were headed back, he'd figured out what that whirring sound meant and was getting over without having to be told. I also caught him peeping over his shoulder a few times (some of those bikes are really quiet).